Master of Science
To be admitted to M.S. candidacy, students must successfully complete a total of 32 credits, which must include courses 201-173, 201-189, 201-206, and 201-202, as well as additional courses determined by the students' advisory committee. Students must also pass a comprehensive preliminary examination; write and orally defend a thesis; and, in some cases, pass a proficiency examination in French, German, or any other foreign language related to the discipline.
Doctor of Philosophy
For admission to Ph.D. candidacy, students must successfully complete 42 credit hours beyond the master's degree or 72 credit hours beyond the baccalaureate in basic anatomy courses, including 201-173, 201-206, and 201-202, as well as additional courses determined by each student's advisory committee.
Additional requirements include passing a comprehensive preliminary examination; demonstrating in an examination proficiency in French, German, or any other foreign language related to the discipline; submitting a dissertation proposal; and writing and orally defending a dissertation.
The College of Medicine and the Graduate School jointly offer an integrated program that leads to both the M.D. and Ph.D. degrees without compromise in the customary substance of each of these degrees individually. Additionally, the curricular emphasis develops in the trainee the unique professional role perspective of the clinician/scientist/scholar. It also develops a particular appreciation for the urgent and unsolved health problems that are present in the population served by the Howard University Hospital and its affiliated clinical programs.
Graduate departments that currently invite applications for Ph.D. study in this program are: Anatomy, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Genetics and Human Genetics, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physiology and Biophysics.
The steps in the application process are as follows:
- Complete all aspects of the application for medical school.
- Submit a brief letter of interest in applying for the M.D. Ph.D. programs to the program director.
- The M.D./Ph.D. program committee will review the application to medical school. If a candidate meets the minimum eligibility criteria, he/she will receive a supplemental application for the combined program.
- The program committee may invite a candidate for a visit to the campus for an interview.
- Concurrent with the visit, a candidate will also be invited to apply to the graduate department of his/her choice through the Graduate School.
The application for the M.D./Ph.D. program should be returned to:
Verle Headings, M.D., Ph.D.
Director M.D./Ph.D. Program
Howard University College of Medicine
520 W Street, NW
Washington, DC 20059